Saturday, May 28, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I went to a cooking class this week that reviewed Eva Longoria’s new cookbook called “Eva’s Kitchen.”  I have to say, I was skeptical…I mean does Eva Longoria actually eat anything solid?  I did not own a single Mexican Food cookbook so I decided it was worth a shot.  And naïve me…I thought Eva might actually be teaching the class herself!  (Imagine my disappointment when I realized it was actually taught by a snarky balding man who tried to sell us kitchen utensils for 2 hours).  The guacamole and pico de gallo recipes were nothing to write home about but the carne asada and churro recipes were both great. 

This pie recipe is very easy since you don't have to make your own crust (which is one of my least favorite things in baking). I took the pie over to a friend’s house for dinner and it was a huge hit.  Well done Eva…well done.

Eva Longoria’s Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

16 oz Strawberries, hulled and quartered (~4 cups)
1 lb Rhubarb, cut into ½ “ pieces (~4 cups)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
Grated zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 small lemon
2 store bought pie crusts (9”)
1 egg white
Ice cream or whipped cream for serving

Position rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the fruit to release its juices.  Meanwhile, line a 9” pie plate with one of the piecrusts, gently pushing it into the edges of the pan.  Use a slotted spoon to transfer the fruit into the piecrust.  Lay the second dough onto a work surface.  Using a pastry wheel (or knife), cut the dough into ¾ “ strips.  Arrange half of the strips across the top of the pie, spacing ½” apart.  Arrange the remaining strips across the top in the other direction, forming a lattice pattern.  Fold the edges of the bottom crust up and over the ends of the strips.

In a small bowl, beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water.  Brush the lattice strips lightly with the egg and sprinkle with sugar.  Place pie on a baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 55 more minutes.


Serve the pie with vanilla ice cream. 

I had a hard time finding rhubarb at the Safeway but Whole Foods had it.  In case you are wondering, here is what it looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment