Monday, April 9, 2012

Lamb Cake

This cake is just halariously cute, no? 

My friend Candy sent me the lamb mold a few years ago because her son (and my good friend) Chad grew up having one for Easter each year.  Chad and I now celebrate Easter together in San Francisco so I make Candy's famous lamb cake to celebrate.  I have varied the pound cake recipe each year and they have all seemed to work in the mold.  This year I tried a Citrus Pound Cake with cream cheese frosting.  The pound cake recipe came from Epicurious and the frosting recipe is something I learned in a cake class a couple of years ago.  The decorations are up to you.  The "grass" around the lamb is shredded coconut and green food coloring mixed together (I usually do this in a plastic bag to avoid green hands).  Then you can use jelly beans or chocolate eggs to garnish the grass. The eyes/nose can be black jelly beans or chocolate-covered espresso beans (as pictured).  I have also seen red frosting or licorice used to create a mouth.   This is a fun recipe so be creative!

Citrus Pound Cake

2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising; sift before measuring)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, at room temperature 30 minutes
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour (generously) the lamb mold.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix together sugar and zests with an electric mixer at low speed until sugar is evenly colored, then add butter and beat at high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Beat in eggs 1 at a time at medium speed, scraping down side of bowl frequently, then beat in juices and vanilla. At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just incorporated.

Place the mold face-side-down onto a cookie sheet.  Spread batter in the mold (the side with the lamb face).  Place a toothpick in the ears of the lamb to make sure they do not fall off during the frosting process.  Place the other half of the mold on top and place it all in the oven.

Bake for 1 hour. Cool in pan on a rack for 1 hour.  Carefully release the mold onto a plate and cover with plastic wrap until ready to frost. 
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 lb (2 sticks) butter
1/2 lb cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
8 cups of powdered sugar
1/8 cup whole milk
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

Cream the butter and cream cheese together until smooth.  Add the salt and vanilla.  Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time, adding the milk alternately until smooth (note: I added until I was happy with the taste and consistency, I think 8 cups would make it way too sweet for my taste so I ended up adding ~ 5 cups instead).  Add lemon juice and beat for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. 

Note: You can make this frosting for up to a week in advance.  Place in a airtight container in the fridge and rewhip the frosting with a mixer before use. 

Place the lamb standing up, placing a bit of frosting on the plate under the lamb to secure it.  Generously frost the lamb then sprinkle/toss shredded coconut to cover the lamb. 

Here is the photo of my lamb mold.  I have found several for sale on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment