Friday, May 25, 2012

Mascarpone French Toast with Warm Blackberry Syrup

I am not the biggest french toast fan but even I loved this one!  I found the recipe in Sunset magazine and the photo alone made my mouth water so I had to try it.  I made this on the skillet but I am curious about trying it on the grill as they suggest in the instructions.  I ended up serving the french toast with some salty bacon and breakfast sausage links. 

Ingredients

  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups cold mascarpone cheese
  • 2 tablespoons blackberry liqueur
  • 8 thick (3/4 in.) slices of day-old wide French bread, such as bâtard
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 1/2 cups blackberries
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • Cooked bacon

Preparation

1. Heat a charcoal grill to medium-high (450°) or set up a camp stove and use medium heat.
2. Whisk egg, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. vanilla together in a large bowl.
3. Stir mascarpone, remaining 1 tsp. vanilla, and the liqueur together in another bowl. Spread mascarpone mixture over 4 bread slices; top with remaining slices.
4. Cook maple syrup and berries in a small covered saucepan until berries start to break down, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Heat a large heavy frying pan or 2 smaller ones; swirl butter in pan(s). Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, then cook, turning once, until crisp and browned, 4 to 8 minutes total. Serve French toast with syrup and bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment