Sunday, February 12, 2012

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home

I tried Jeni's ice cream one hot summer day when I was visiting Chicago.  My sister and I had been tramping around the city sweating like crazy and decided to stop for a pint of ice cream and take it home to watch bad reality TV and enjoy the AC (and eat the entire pint of ice cream).  We picked up a pint of Jeni's Pistachio Honey.  It was the perfect balance of creamy texture w/ crunchy nuts and just the right amount of sweetness. I was hooked!  I found her recipe book online and started trying them out.  She doesn't use egg in her recipes which I had always used in my ice creams before.  I like the no-egg approach because you don't end up with little cooked egg bits in your custard.  Jeni uses a small bit of cream cheese in all of her recipes which seems to thicken it up a bit and definitely adds some creaminess.  Some of my favorites from the book so far are the Roasted Pistachio, Black Coffee, Kona Stout and Cognac.  Next up I am planning to try the Goat Cheese w/ roasted red cherries (using my homemade goat cheese recipe, minus the herbs) and Wild Berry Lavender recipes.  

I highly recommend this book as I have tried over half of the recipes and have yet to be disappointed!  You can find Jeni's ice cream book on Amazon.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment